Sunday 28 December 2008

Let your heart be light


Things I loved (and am loving, since it's not over 'till the Epiphany for me) about our Christmas in 2008

-the de-emphasis on presents, focusing instead on traditions I adore (going-to-see-Christmas-lights night...cookie Sunday...
Love Actually for the gazillionth time...)

-the "tree" I made to surprise Steve when he came home from work one December night (inspired from here)

-our humble Christmas day brunch of roasted fingerling potatoes and pancetta, then cranberry and orange pavlovas (from the December '08 issue of this), with mimosas

-getting to talk--no--getting to see Simona, Nonna, Zietta, Zio, Zia Lina via my webcam with Skype. Skype is wonderful.

Things I wish had been different this Christmas (and if we play our cards right, shouldn't be repeat mistakes)


-I wish our family(s) were closer.


-I didn't get to talk to my mom or dad on Christmas day. They're out of the country and because of insane time differences and their plans for an excursion involving 1) a camel and 2) no phone, we weren't able to connect until the 26th. That felt weird and sad.


-my dumb idea to broil our Christmas Eve lobster from some Cajun recipe I found. We usually just steam it and it's always amazing. This one came out charred, rubbery. Simpler really is better.


Merry, merry Christmas.

No comments: