Wednesday 11 March 2009

Molly Wizenberg

Tonight I went to a book signing in the city to meet Molly Wizenberg, author of the magnificent blog Orangette and tremendous book A Homemade Life. Orangette: oh my goodness, how I love it. Typically blah Mondays have gotten much better just knowing that Molly's probably going to post a wonderful never-let-me-down recipe and I get to read a great story behind it to boot. Actually, the recipe is gravy; I read her blog for the writing. Reading one of her essays really fuels my wanting to be in the kitchen more. Therefore I am, and my belly and mind (and husband) are happy so it's a pretty great thing all around.

I've been so excited about going to this book signing that initially I was planning the start date of my new job around it--but when I sorta said that out loud to my recruiter I realized how ridiculous that sounded and decided to plan the event around the job. Luckily it all worked out. Molly--did I mention I have a girl crush on her?--turned out to be exactly as she sounds from her blog: gracious, warm, and completely kind. The whole thing was so nice--she read a chapter from her book; coincidentally, it was the very chapter I had been reading on my lunch break today which made it even more meaningful.

When it was my turn to get my book signed I think I started stammering, blushing, and just generally being retarded all around. It went something like mumble mumble giggle I mumble wow am such a giggle huge mumble fan giggle awwww wow mumble bye. Hell, I would have thought I was retarded too. I hate being shy.

To answer my marm's question, though--it was absolutely worth the hourlong trek into the city after work and then the drive back to Napa afterwards. Plus I found myself on the Golden Gate Bridge as the sun was setting, and I toasted it with the macaron I was nibbling on. So, to recap: great book, great author, golden gate bridge, and macaron. How could that not be a great night?

No comments: