Wednesday 27 June 2012

This one's for the father of my children.

Father's Day was quiet around here. Steve was up at five and out of the house by six, the usual when he has to work. He very sweetly wore the SuperPapa emblem and cape I set out for him under his scrubs...and then he was gone for the day, leaving us to our own devices. I was a little sad for him --that he couldn't celebrate his day the way he would have liked, but that's any healthcare profession. It's not a Monday-to-Friday job and that's both a great and a not-so-great thing.

Happily, though, a few days later he got to call the shots on his re-do Papa's Day. Breakfast in bed (Wugs was beside herself with excitement), time alone, time with his girls, walking to an Italian restaurant near our apartment for dinner. As Mila often says...GOOD DAAAAY.

I say this all the time to myself, but not enough around here. It is such a privilege getting to watch Steve be a Papa to our girl, and I can't wait to watch the love multiply in just a few months. He is patient, kind, funny, loving, firm when he needs to be, crazy silly when he needs to be. Perfect for her. Perfect for us. Watching him makes me be a better parent. The best decision I ever made was when I said yes* to a life with this man.

Here's a tiny little thank you video to the father of my children. And enjoy the lil' video snippets where I'm trying to coach Mila to say Happy Papa's Day! Is her voice not the sweetest, most singsongy melodic straight-from-an-angel-angelic sounding? I think so, too.
p.s. My favorite part is at the 1:05 mark, where Mila thinks I'm taking her picture and shouts out TEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAASE! (cheese) ;)

* Which, coincidentally, was nine years ago today! Happy engagement day to us crazy kids.

No comments: