Thursday 3 March 2011

6 months (and 5, too).

First of all, here's five months. I didn't post it at the time because we were in the middle of a cross-country move and my USB cable happened to be on the wrong side of the country. But it happened:


And now six. A very merry half-birthday to you, Wugs. (Your actual half-birthday will only occur every 4 years. Leap years will never be the same again!) I cannot believe six months have passed. I cannot believe how better you have made us. I knew parenthood would be difficult, but I didn't think it would be this difficult. I knew I would worry, but I didn't know it was a worry capable of keeping me up at night even if I only had 3 hours' sleep. I knew I would be happy, but I didn't know what happy was before. I didn't realize that the joy and the worry would intermingle so that you didn't know where one ended and the other began. The heartache. I wasn't prepared for the heartache. That voice in my ear whispering that today will never come back so I'd better be present.

You are rolling everywhere and crawling is just around the corner. You laugh and babble all the time now...from me hopping towards you in your high chair to our peekaboo games to hearing the first line of 'This little piggy' or 'Ecco il treno.' You squeal and reach out at the sight of our kitties. You have a one-trillion kilowatt smile in the morning when I pick you up out of your crib. You take pause when you hear your Nonna's voice on the phone or on skype. You'll be engrossed in playing with your toys and will look up, tilt your head and this big smile will spread across your face like a Christmas tree lighting up. You bat your eyelashes coyly at your papa. Yes, already. You don't like the act of getting dressed. You don't like being buckled in. To anything. You are full on teething. One has already cut through and another is well on its way. The weekend before we left Florida I set you in the Indian River and you loved it. Such joy. I can't wait for those swim lessons. I carry you on my right hip most often and you always get this determined look on your face while we're walking, like you're saying just you and me mama, we'll take 'em on. 

We sure will, my darling girl.




No comments: