Monday 8 August 2011

Celebrating


My man's birthday was yesterday.

It was one of the big ones.

In past birthdays we've taken getaways to a lighthouse, to a cave, to romantic rooftop rooms at b & b's where we had a jacuzzi to ourselves; we've gone on a kayaking trip, stayed in a private cabin and could hear a glacier calving we were that close (we were also joined by a bear! but that's a story for another day). There was the birthday with the I heart Steve banner. Last year I was a million months pregnant but I still managed to stretch a dress over my enormous belly and we went out to a romantic dinner in Orlando, spending the night excitedly talking about this little person about to enter our lives (and change it all).

Fast forward to this year. No crazy romantic dinner in the city. No whirlwind getaway. No big fanfare or surprise party.We spent the day relatively quietly, just the three of us. I made a cake. We took Mila to the park and held her hands between ours as we walked and she squealed at puppies.  Are we boring? Steve said this was what he wanted, but I couldn't help but draw comparisons.

I'm going to be really honest here and say that you have to keep an eagle-eye vigilance over your marriage that first year after a child is brought into the mix. When you're struggling with a crash course in babies, dealing with little to no sleep, and trying to find your "new normal," it's easy to turn on the only other adult in the house and attack. We've had some moments I'm not so proud of, but at the end of the day I love him more than ever. And we are stronger than ever. Seeing him as a father sheds a whole new light on everything and I am privileged and honored to share this lifelong road with him. He is brave, he is ever-optimistic, and he is ours. Mine and Mila's. We will hold onto him tightly.

So yes, this year was a quiet one for a very big birthday. That is okay. There is a place in our future for parties and trips, but in the meantime we'll enjoy each other. Just as it should be.

Happy day of your birth Pook.



No comments: