Wednesday 21 July 2010

32 weeks


 
Things are coming together and it's all feeling very real. My birth kit arrived. We've taken a breastfeeding class, an infant care/safety one, and a 2-day childbirth class all in the hopes of trying to feel more 'ready.' Are you ready? everyone asks me lately almost as frequently as the due date or gender questions. But week 32 was the week I stopped saying NO!! and decided to start saying yes. It's because of some incredible, simple advice--that wasn't even directed towards me. 

I was at a friend's baby shower when I overheard it: The one thing I wish I had done differently was to relax and enjoy it more.

There is no way on God's green Earth that we can fully prepare for this wonderful little soul. I'm a first-time mom. I haven't been around babies too much. Yeah, I've bought books and (somewhat) read about the 5 S's, the importance of routines, latching on...but really, I have no idea. And now, after hearing those awesome words of wisdom--relax and enjoy--I don't care. I've got a feeling this blip in time is all going to go by so fast and I don't want to look back and remember nothing but worries over weight gain or deciphering cries or increasing milk supply.  I just want to be with this baby and hope the rest will fall into place.

So. I am still reading the books. Just not with the same fervor--panic, even--that was present before. I'm not going to know what I'm doing, and that's okay. I relish that. I am going to be the exhausted but happy mama in the little green and white house in Vero Beach, Florida. I will set aside my pride and ask for help when I need it. I am gonna enjoy this ride.

Ask me if I'm ready, I dare you.

****
The food...as you can see I'm slowing down (about time!)
quinoa salad
watermelon 
iced vanilla soy latte
plum crisp

No comments: