Monday 3 October 2011

Book Week

Wugs reading to Hoodes
In honor of National Book Week (all right, it was last week), here are a few of Wugs' favorite books of late:

There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly: Is it wrong to say that I have a 3-times-limit for singing this book? After that I...hide it. Wrong? I mean, that book is exhausting. But on a sweet note, it always brings me back to Marmousch singing it to me when I was little.

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? or equally loved Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear?: Both Steve and I do the animal parts each with different voices.


Mama's Milk/ Mama Me Alimenta: Touching and heartfelt English and Spanish book about babies--human and animal--getting their Mama's milk. Wugs goes crazy over the cover, which is why I bought her Nursing Nina for her birthday. Nina Kitty is now held in regard nearly as high as Llama Llama. Which brings me too...


Llama Llama Red Pajama: It will always hold the distinct honor of being the first book Wugs wanted to hear again and again and again. And again. And again. And again. And--oh please, not llama llama again. Ask Papa to read it to you this time.

Where is Baby's Belly Button?: The book that led to Mila discovering Mama's belly button. Mama's belly button is Mila's happy place. Is that weird? I think she would enjoy her own belly button just as much except that little chugalug of a belly just gets in the way of effective umbilical exploration.


Global Babies: Oh Global Babies, you are awesome. What with your Fijian baby who sticks his tongue out at my daughter and makes her squeal, or Peruvian baby with his ruddy cheeks that beg to be pinched. Babies love other babies and Wugs is no exception. This always comes with us to church without fail to buy us a little quiet pew time.

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy!: I think I have a wee crush on Mo Willems. I have no idea what he looks like. But he writes as a father first (a good one). Mila loves this book so much that Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! is definitely going to be under the Christmas tree. 


The Monster at the End of This Book: Chip off the old (but he's not old!) block; this was Steve's favorite book when he was little and now it's his daughter's as well. We actually read from his worn, much-loved copy. Also, I'm told that my Grover voice sounds Bengali. Hmmph.

On the Night You Were Born: When we moved away Marmousch recorded this book in Italian. All Mila has to do is open the book and she's instantly transported to Nonnaland. So she opens it. A lot. A sweet way for Mila to hear her voice even though she's far away (I couldn't open it those first few weeks we were in California or I would end up in tears).

So many great books, such little time. I just placed an amazon order for a few more on our wishlist. Happy reading, Wugs!




No comments: