Thursday 28 March 2013

Fresh off the needles.


Honest mama confession: Mila's baby blanket was done in my third month of pregnancy. Dani's baby blanket was completed in her third month of life. It took me a year to finish. A year of off -and-on knitting, of stop-and-pick-up-another-project, of I-really-need-to-just-finish-this-albatross-of-a-blanket; must. get. motivated. I knitted it while glued to the tv watching the 2012 summer olympics, while waiting out a Wugs nap in the car, while laying in the hospital for the non-stress tests they made me do those stressful last 2 weeks of pregnancy. I wasn't too worried since I remembered all too well how Mila barely used her blanket that first year of life. There's swaddling and then sleep slacks before the beloved blankie comes into the picture. Still, I'm happy that Dani's blankie is finished and patiently waiting in her crib, ready to be loved and snuggled in when the time is right.



I do love that they're seaside, ocean colors--perfect for the girl whose birth was immediately followed by our return to Florida. The pattern is from The Purl Bee blog and the yarns are from Purl Soho--damnit if that place doesn't bleed my wallet dry every time, they're yarns are just so beautiful. I've been banned from placing any more orders there for awhile.




And while I'm at it, here's a couple other things that have been knitted recently. The house pillow was one of Mila's Christmas presents last year, I knit 99% of that thing while nursing a sweet newborn. It's from this book--I've made a few things from there (including the hat on the cover, very possibly my fave hat yet) and am always thrilled with the results. 
And something for our little home--this saddleback stool cover. I bought that stool just so I could knit the cover for it. Kinda nutty but very me. I love my knits, love that it's something I can (usually) do easily in the presence of my children and especially love hearing Mila begin sentences like, "When ME knit me is goin to..." When and not if. Makes a mama proud that little M knows her two hands are capable of making things.






No comments: